What are the benefits of massage for New Moms?
There are numerous wonderful benefits to massage for new moms. Moms of new babies & young children have just undergone one of the most important transitions in their lives. Massage can assist in easing them into the joys of motherhood by helping with stress, fatigue & providing relaxation and a place to chill out.
Here are a few great benefits:
- To ease sore spots and relax muscle tension. The whole process of childbirth has been a strain on your body, particularly your abdomen, lower back and hips. Your upper back might also be sore if you are breastfeeding and not using a suitable position.
- Increase the flow of blood and oxygen to your muscles, getting rid of the toxins.
- You feel relaxed. Massage encourages the body to release endorphins - the natural pain killers and feel good hormones secreted by the brain.
- Your body to release oxytocin. Oxytocin triggers the letdown reflex which releases milk from your breast. This means that you might leak breastmilk during your massage so keep your breastfeeding bra on with some breastpads in. A breast massage will help open blocked ducts, loosen clumps or hardened areas, and reduce the risk of mastitis. Vigorous massage on the breasts can do more damage than good however so ensure that only soft and gentle strokes are applied to your breasts.
- Speed up recovery from a caesarean section if you've had one. Although you need to stay clear of your wound as long as it hasn't healed, gentle massage to the area thereafter will increase blood supply and help with internal healing.
- Improve well-being and immunity by stimulating lymph flow.
- You cope with the baby blues and postnatal depression. Some experts say that a massage is an excellent stress buster and mood elevator.